Swimming at Australian Beaches

Home Forums Destinations Swimming at Australian Beaches

• This topic has 1 reply, 2 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by Anonymous.
Viewing 1 reply thread
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi all,

I came across this link on Facebook, with some excellent photos and information regarding how to identify a rip, and what to do if you are caught in one.

Unfortunately, every year several tourists die on Australian Beaches, usually thanks to their unfamiliarity with our ocean conditions.
      What precausions should betaken there?
      Please help.
      Thanks!

Anonymous
      Inactive

Hi there,

It depends where you plan to swim. Personally, I didn’t go into any creek in NT~our guide (a local aboriginal girl) out on a trip told me about her sister getting dragged into a culvert by the leg by a big old saltie just lying there waiting for anything with a pulse to wander by. Had it not been for her husband, she would have been in real trouble. I’m not so desperate to swim!

With that in mind, do beware of the saltwater crocodiles near inland water in the northern part of the country, and don’t go mucking about close to the edge. There will be signs about too~just not everywhere. Australia is a big place.

There are box jellyfish around parts of the coast some of the time too. And there are sharks, but if you swim on patrolled beaches within the flagged areas, you will be fine.

There all kinds of creatures that can bite and sting and eat you in Oz but just remember that you’re more likely to be killed by a horse than any of them.

If you want to read a bit more:

Natural Australia

Swim and have fun. The Aussies love the water.

Viewing 1 reply thread
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.