Do I necessarily have to go into biotech or medical device sales?

Home Forums General Discussion Do I necessarily have to go into biotech or medical device sales?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 0 reply threads
  • Author
      Anonymous
      Inactive

I have a MS in Pharmacology and 5+ years of bench research experience. I have published 3 papers, attended conferences, and I have an offer to complete my PhD in about 3 years if I choose to.

But I fucking hate science (now). I hate how poor I am. I hate how hard I’ve worked and I hate how even $60k seems unattainable before turning 35 or even 40. I know a 41 year old guy with a PhD, 900 citations (yes, you read that right), and he makes $55k.

I want money and sales is the only way I’m going to get it. I have found every job/internship I’ve ever had by literally going door to door and handing people my resumes in person. No script, just walk in, make up a story and get interviewed on the spot.

I know I can be driven when I have to be, and I’m fairly certain I can succeed in sales. The question is, do I necessarily have to go into the science/pharma space?

On one hand, I feel like selling = $$, therefore what I sell is irrelevant.

On the other hand, high barrier for entry = specialized sales = >$$$?

I don’t know what the right move is. I don’t have any real sales experience, so I’m going to start at the bottom either way. Should I stick to what I know or take what I can get on a first come first serve basis?

If I absolutely had to, could I sell cars and then somehow wind up in pharma sales later?

I’ve read the “best of” thread, but I still don’t know what the right move is here. I don’t understand the industry, and I don’t know if opting for a non-pharma sales job would hurt my prospects if I wanted to job hop back to pharma later. That said, if I would up making serious money selling, idk, refrigerators, wtf difference does it make anyway?

Maybe a B2B sales environment with an established costumer base, like a manufacturing company that supplies construction firms, would be good money with less pressure. However, a medical device company that requires one to hunt for business would be excellent money with tremendous pressure. Maybe the pressure is the same but one pays better?? I’m so fucking confused.

What would you do?
      Please help.
      Thanks!

Viewing 0 reply threads
  • The topic ‘Do I necessarily have to go into biotech or medical device sales?’ is closed to new replies.